Total Pageviews

Friday, June 6, 2014

After the big weep

We recovered. We were let loose in a craft shop where I bought all sorts of souvenirs, all small and lightweight, and then we were dropped off at a huge mall with a food court. Four of us crones (Look it up before you object. It's a compliment) wound up in a Thai place where we told the manager this was the best meal we had eaten in ten days, and it was no lie. I had chicken curry and ordered chicken satay to share around. Everyone else ordered different stuff and we all shared. Nothing was left, seriously. Then there was a gelato stand. I had mango, of course.

Back to the hotel to pack and change. I took a nap, because I was already packed, and I had packed my backpack really light and my checked bag really heavy, because I didn't know what to expect in Hong Kong. Carts? Mules? Native bearers? Not to mention by then I had tennis elbow from slinging bags the whole time, but that was good news. I had thought it was broken! 

We said goodbye to all our fellow travelers in the airport. Our Australian friend stayed behind to catch his flight home next day, and everyone else went back to the US. Aunt Marion and I, of course, were headed to China.

I find it really hard to believe, now, that I have been to China. I don't mean to sound xenophobic but I have never had much interest in Asia, except, of course, for the food. But I have been to all six other continents, and by getting to the Kowloon part of Hong Kong, I would finally walk on the Asian continent. I honestly did not foresee getting any closer to Asia than I was in the Philippines, so I decided to go through with it. And Aunt Marion said she was up for anything, so we arranged it. Luckily, our hotel was right in Kowloon, across the harbor from Hong Kong island, so I didn't have to do anything extra.

Shortish flight to Hong Kong, but got in really late, so collapsed and slept clear till 9 AM the next day. I had wanted to take a ferry to Macau, just to see it, but the weather was bad so we decided to explore the neighborhood and/or shop, or whatever.

 
 
Just beyond the trees behind the fountain is Hong Kong Harbor, with a very long walkway, of which Aunt Marion took great advantage, walking further than the eye can see both days.
 
Here's a shot out our window. Even though it's not much, you get the general idea.
 
 
 
 
The contrast between the two nations we visited could not have been more pronounced. You could eat off the sidewalk in Hong Kong, but there were better options.
 
 
After wandering around the square by the hotel, we decided to eat in their "cafe." Probably the most expensive meal of the trip. But at least I got some shrimp dumplings in a noodle soup. The food was good, but we agreed we'd eat out on the square from then on.
 
 
After lunch Aunt Marion had a walk and I had a nap. After ten days of Philippine Ranger training, I admit I was pretty worn out. That night we attempted to see the Symphony of light in Hong Kong Harbor. It's supposed to start at 8 PM, but it was very late and we could only see a few flashes of light from where we were. I wondered if it was broken or something. Here's a link.
 
 
Okay, so I just now watched this, and guess what. Yup, we saw the whole thing. But I think some of the buildings were taking the night off when we were there. We were looking right at them and never saw some of the more animated stuff going on, but we saw all there was to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment