Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Iowa: the 50th state

What, it isn't? You think it's Hawai'i? Well, maybe for some people, but for me, it's Iowa, which until yesterday, I'd never been in. Until this year, it was never on the way anywhere. In case you're curious, Joyce has about ten to go, but we'll knock off a bunch on this trip.

Here's what Iowa is like, so far: Missouri. Well, flatter, but green rolling hills all the same, and fresh air and breezes. Nice, normal people. Progressive laws. Too bad it's so cold in the winter. We drove straight up from Independence and stopped at a welcome center to take a picture of me in my 50th state. And there are a lot of Amish.






Not much later, we got to Des Moines, where the hotel has a nice indoor pool and spa.

Got up exhausted this morning, and it was raining, so we decided on a day off and went back to bed. Limited food choices forced us to eat Wendy's twice, but they have an excellent spicy chicken filet.

Tomorrow we'll visit the Old Fort Des Moines Army museum. Yes, I am writing a book. And I'll tell you all about that after our visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment